Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I will fight this to my death.  :-)
> I have cursed Ingres every time I needed to look at the Ingres data
> directory to find out which tables match which files.  Even a lookup
> file is a pain.  Right now, I can do ls -l to see which tables are
> taking disk space.

I had Ingres also, and found their scheme to be a royal pain. But that
was really only because they had such a *bad* schema that I'd have to
poke around forever to reconstruct a query which would give me file
names and table names. And then I'd have to print that and compare
that to the directories which were buried way down in a directory
tree.

But with Postgres, we can write a utility to do this for us, so I
think that it isn't so much of an issue. In fact, perhaps we could
have a backend function which could do this, so we could query the
sizes directly.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California