Re: [GENERAL] Query time is too long for netscape - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chairudin Sentosa Harjo
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Query time is too long for netscape
Date
List pgsql-general
Mark Jewiss wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Chairudin Sentosa Harjo wrote:
>
> > $sql = "select a.pin, b.first_name, b.last_name,
> >         start_time, duration,
> >         country_code, area_code, phone_number,
> >         a.service_type, total_units
> >         from tbs_billing_record a, ibs_subscriber b
> >         where a.pin=b.pin
> >         and date(start_time) between '$begindate' and '$enddate'
> >         and a.service_type='$service_type'
> >         order by $sortby1,$sortby2";
>
> Ok, I've had a very quick look at this, and going on my past experiences,
> I'd say that the problem is the query above. I've always had horribly slow
> query returns when you are only pulling out rows with data between two
> dates.
>
> If you take the 'date between' line out of the query, how much quicker is
> the result returned?
>
> One way around this may be to create a temporary table that contains the
> results of the query that you want. Your script query would then be
> "select * from temptable".
>
> You'd then need some sort of schedule so that the temp table is updated
> every XX mins to suit your application - it comes down to working out how
> important accurate information is to your customer.

That's what I am doing now, however I only put one month data to
the temporary table. The problem is when two months data is needed,
I have to create another temporary table, and change my script again.

I may have to find a way to tell netscape not to timeout too quickly.

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks

Regards,
Chai