Re: Mandrake RPMs (was RPM build on Suse linux 6.2) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Mandrake RPMs (was RPM build on Suse linux 6.2)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > They last put in 6.5.2-1 in Cooker.  And Cooker has the src.rpm.
>
> I'm just using yours for now. Interesting: on my new laptop it builds
> *i686* rpms, since the Mandrake /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc is very aggressive
> about matching the build machine. I have created a /root/.rpmrc to
> override this, but I'm planning on posting some optimized RPMs at
> postgresql.org.

Sounds good.  Yeah, Mandrake has been quite aggressive on the CPU
optimization front -- however, I still have some 486's running here, so
the i386 binaries work for me.  If we want to distribute i586 and i686
versions, I have no complaints.

I looked at the Mandrake Cooker spec file -- and there are differences
all over the place -- most noticeably in the truncation of the
Changelog.  The most notable difference is in the use of bzip2 to
compress the man pages.

> We might also want to consider building some non-locale-enabled RPMs
> so folks can get the speed boost if they aren't using non-ascii
> English.

On my TODO list for the next RPM release (which is looking to be sooner
than I had expected....).

> I've changed a couple of lines in the spec file; diffs included below.

Looks familiar -- fixing the permissions bug, and bumping the version.

> > Can you forward Mandrake's reply to me??
> Sure. Haven't heard from them yet...

Thanks.  I had e-mailed Axalon Bloodstone directly, as he did the
packaging for the Cooker RPM.

Also, Jef and I got the RPM's built, installed, and running under SuSE
6.2. I'm going to put up a page on ramifordistat detailing the steps and
packages needed.  Man, SuSE is far different from RedHat!
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio