Re: Relation 'pg_user' does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Relation 'pg_user' does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
Matt Beauregard <matt@designscape.com.au> writes:

>> This is strange in itself.  There should be an (empty) file named
>> pg_user in your $PGDATA/base/template1 directory --- is there?
>> What about pg_views?

> Neither are there.

Hmm.  *Something's* been tromping on your database, then.  Hard to tell
what happened from the information at hand ... but I'll bet the
corrupted index on pg_class is related somehow.

Since these are only views, the datafiles underlying them would be empty
anyway --- so you can recreate the datafiles just by doing
"touch $PGDATA/base/template1/pg_user" etc.

You could probably rebuild the corrupted index using REINDEX.  I haven't
had to do that myself so I'm not sure about the procedure.

I'd definitely recommend a full dump, initdb, restore once you have
things working well enough to allow a dump.  Whatever happened here,
you probably haven't seen all the effects yet :-(

            regards, tom lane