Re: Relation 'pg_user' does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Beauregard
Subject Re: Relation 'pg_user' does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 08:40:08PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Matt Beauregard <matt@designscape.com.au> writes:
> >> The plot thickens ... what did you say the error message was
> > exactly?
>
> > !759 marauder@bofh:~$ pg_dump -h tweedledee ds
> > getTypes(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend: 'ERROR:
> > Relation 'pg_user' does not exist
>
> > NOTICE:  mdopen: couldn't open pg_user: No such file or directory
>
> This is strange in itself.  There should be an (empty) file named
> pg_user in your $PGDATA/base/template1 directory --- is there?
> What about pg_views?

Neither are there.

> Hmm.  Tracing this back makes it appear that the pg_user row in pg_class
> isn't being found by an index scan.  Since the row clearly is there when
> you do a sequential scan, this suggests that the pg_class_relname_index
> index is corrupted.  If so, how'd it get that way?  Is there a
> pg_class_relname_index file in template1?  How big is it?

There, 16384 bytes.

> One thing I am wondering about, since you mention restarting the
> postmaster, is whether you're being careful to start the postmaster
> in a consistent environment --- in particular, with consistent
> LOCALE-related environment variable values.  A number of people have

That doesn't sound like something we'd ever change... I've never
explicitly been careful about the environment but I can't think of a
reason for it not to be the same between starts.

--
Matt Beauregard
Information Technology Operations, DesignScape

Ph: +61 2 9361 4233   Fx: +61 2 9361 4633