Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/8/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> The problem is that a full list would be harder to understand than just
> looking at the existing code and following it, or taking suggestions
> from us as we review the patch.

What makes you say it would be necessarily harder to understand?  That
seems strange to me.  Isn't that a bit like saying that the Postgres
developers' FAQ is harder to understand than just asking the question
on -hackers?

What I'm talking about isn't weird.  Large collaborative projects
often have style guides.  To take an example, Python has one for C
code [1] and another for Python code [2].  They are clear, useful and
easy to understand.

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0007/
[2] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

Regards,