Re: Change pfree to accept NULL argument - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Change pfree to accept NULL argument
Date
Re: Change pfree to accept NULL argument
Re: Change pfree to accept NULL argument
List pgsql-hackers
> Per discussion in [0], here is a patch set that allows pfree() to accept
> a NULL argument, like free() does.

So the question is, is this actually a good thing to do?

If we were starting in a green field, I'd be fine with defining
pfree(NULL) as okay.  But we're not, so there are a couple of big
objections:

* Code developed to this standard will be unsafe to back-patch

* The sheer number of places touched will create back-patching
hazards.

I'm not very convinced that the benefits of making pfree() more
like free() are worth those costs.

We could ameliorate the first objection if we wanted to back-patch
0002, I guess.

(FWIW, no objection to your 0001.  0004 and 0005 seem okay too;
they don't touch enough places to create much back-patching risk.)