Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items
Date
RE: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Vadim Mikheev <vadim@krs.ru> writes:
> >> ERROR:  Child itemid marked as unused
> > [ is fixed ]
>
> Great!  Vadim (also Hiroshi and Tatsuo), how many bugs remain on your
> must-fix-for-6.5 lists?  I was just wondering over in the "Freezing
> docs" thread whether we had any problems severe enough to justify
> delaying the release.  It sounds like at least one such problem is
> gone...

No one in mine.

There are still some bad things, but they are old:

1. elog(NOTICE) in lock manager when locking was not succeeded.  Hope that our recent changes will reduce possibility
ofthis.

Hiroshi wrote:

2.
>     spinlock io_in_progress_lock of a buffer page is not
>     released by operations called by elog() such as
>     ProcReleaseSpins(),ResetBufferPool() etc.

I tried to fix this before 6.4 but without success (don't
remember why).

3.
> It seems elog(FATAL) doesn't release allocated buffer pages.
> It's OK ?
> AFAIC elog(FATAL) causes proc_exit(0) and proc_exit() doesn't
> call ResetBufferPool().

Seems to me that elog(FATAL) should call siglongjmp(Warn_restart, 1),
like elog(ERROR), but force exit in tcop main loop after
AbortCurrentTransaction(). AbortTransaction() does pretty nice
things like RelationPurgeLocalRelation(false) and DestroyNoNameRels()...

Vadim