Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> Has anyone taken the time to apply the unixODBC changes to the
> PostgreSQL ODBC driver. I ask because I would like to email a couple
> of more changes but it would only make sense if the previous changes
> have been applied.

Not that I know of. We have been busy preparing for a release and do
not have time to chase around your proposed changes. Someone might
have time later.

> BTW: You guys should consider giving out cvs write access for those of
> us that do not do patch submissions... anyway; current set of changes
> are tiny so I will email them if you want them (they are based upon
> the previous, wide spread changes I made earlier). Otherwise we are
> heading down the road of a code fork <groan>.

Well, "those of us that do not do patch submissions" end up not
contributing much code! We have a relatively small group of folks
privileged to make direct cvs updates, and they have been given that
privilege after working with the code and submitting patches for an
extended period of time.

Byron is the keeper of the ODBC code, and in fact does his work
outside of the Postgres source tree since his development target is
WIN32. The last time I looked the unixODBC drivers were claiming alpha
or beta status, and it seemed a bit early to jump on integrating that
code base into the Postgres production tree.

I support your goal of avoiding a code fork, but imho you will need to
do a bit of work to: 1) send your changes, rather than sending a URL;
2) explain your changes if they are not small, self-evident patches;
3) work with Byron to ensure that the changes are compatible with his
code and the direction it is taking.

Regards.
                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California