Re: [HACKERS] CVS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CVS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> It would be very nice to have the same kind of web interface as the
> FreeBSD has, with a web accessible CVS tree.

Uh, we do have it. cvsup is up and running on postgresql.org (a
FreeBSD machine) and we have posted several binaries on
 ftp://postgresql.org/pub/CVSup/

Since you mention it, I had posted the other day a request for someone
to test some RPMs I have made of the latest CVSup release. It would
need a Linux glibc2 machine (I built it on a RH5.2 system), and the
RPMs include an example file for Postgres clients. They are in
/pub/CVSup/beta/ on our ftp server. Once someone installs them
successfully I'll go ahead and update them (the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cvsupd.init startup file was not quite right, but a
test of the cvsup client would be sufficient to verify the RPMs I
think).

The *great* thing about CVSup is that you end up with the full CVS
repository on your local machine, and can do things like "cvs log"
without going over the net. CVSup has so many optimizations for file
transfer that it just screams over the network, and updates of the CVS
tree happen much faster than anonymous CVS can do.

I'm hoping to get the time to finish marking up a chapter for the docs
on CVS access to postgresql.org, including the CVSup option. In the
meantime look at doc/FAQ_CVS and doc/src/sgml/cvs.sgml. Does anyone
have an interest in picking this up as they do an install themselves?
Would be a great help...
                         - Thomas

South Pasadena, California