Re: [HACKERS] Re:pg_dump barfs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Bitmead
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re:pg_dump barfs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
As a follow-up to this, I tried creating a new database from the
original CREATE TABLE statements, with the additional field added to the
CREATE TABLE which I had previously used an ALTER TABLE to add.

I found that the fields came out in a different order when I do a SELECT
* FROM urllink.

This re-enforces my theory that postgres is confused about field orders,
and that there is a bad interaction between ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN and
any database use which assumes a particular column ordering. In my
opinion, any useful SQL must specify columns in order to be reliable
(even COPY). Unfortunately, COPY does not allow you to specify column
names, and INSERT does not allow you to retain oids, thus I am screwed
right now. Any suggestions on how to salvage my data still welcome :-).