Re: [HACKERS] It would be nice if this could be fixed... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] It would be nice if this could be fixed...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> COALESCE sql function causes postgres to CRASH!
> httpd=> SELECT story.title, COALESCE(story.image, mfr.image)
> httpd-> FROM story, mfr where story.category= mfr.oid;

This is a known problem which I was hoping someone would pick up and
try to fix. Not sure I'll have time to look at it before v6.5 is
released.

The problem is in combining columns from multiple tables in the
COALESCE result. There are commented-out examples in the regression
test which illustrate the "feature". Other features of COALESCE seem
to work OK...
                     - Tom

South Pasadena, California