Re: New behavior with JDBC 42.2.5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: New behavior with JDBC 42.2.5
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/21/18 10:12 AM, Ravi Krishna wrote:
> We recently upgraded our JDBC driver to 42.2.5 after seeing this
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1883/
>
> All of our PG databases mandates SSL connections.  So the first line in pg_hba.conf is
>
> hostnossl all all all reject
>
> We use dbeaver and while setting up connection we check box SSL (require).
> Attempt to connect without that checked would result in the following error
> "pg_hba.conf rejected the connection: SSL off"
>
> With the JDBC version listed in the subject, we are finding that we can connect
> to the database even without checking SSL.  Is that expected with this version of
> JDBC. Does it automatically make the connection an SSL one?  Otherwise it is hard
> to see PG allowing that connection to pass.

First are doing a socket connection or a host connection? Socket
connections ignore sslmode.

Second what happens if you do some version of this?:

psql postgresql://localhost:5432/test?sslmode=require

psql postgresql://localhost:5432/test?sslmode=disable

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com