Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.
Date
Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Hmm, I wonder if you could do something malicious with it.

There are any number of scenarios where exposing the client command-line
contents to other database users represents a security hole, quite
independently of whether anything falls over depending on the line
contents.  (I wonder whether there are any Oracle clients that accept
a password on the command line, for instance.)

Sure they let you pass the password on the command line, but they don't recommend it.  Most of the utilities accept the syntax:

utility user/pass@instance

Just doing user@instance will generally prompt for a password.

Ahh, the number of passwords I've recovered from shell history files as a consultant... good times :)

The only reason this complaint is directed to us, and not Oracle,
is that the complainant knows how far he's likely to get complaining
to Oracle :-(

I don't doubt that.  But, like I said, it's really a matter of the application name.  In our case, Postgres falls into that corner case and we either choose to do something about it or we don't.  I put the temporary solution out there for anyone that has the problem.  If we want to fix it long-term, we'd have to look at one of the previously discussed alternatives to using (port).  I don't particularly care one way or another, but if we were to change the ps line format, I just wanted to say that I preferred host:port rather than host(port).

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com