Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> No, the correct way to say that is "if major components were included in
> the readily-available distributions of Postgres" then newbies would find
> it easier to find them.

OK, I agree.  Damn semantics :)

> That doesn't lead to concluding that we should redefine "core"
> as "everything that's popular".

Alright, but I believe we should at least work together when planning
a release to make a set recommendation to packagers.

> These days I don't believe that many newbies download and
> compile the core PG source distribution

Totally agreed.  I have been meaning that our packages (non-src)
should have common tools with them.

> For those who are actually downloading stuff directly from
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/, that page already does list most
> of the add-ons that have been mentioned in this thread.
> Perhaps we need to adjust the wording to make it clearer ...

Yes, that would probably help some.

> One really trivial change is that the second sentence says "full
> package" where it ought to say "core package" --- we should consistently
> reinforce the idea that you're getting a database core, not everything
> that you might want to go with it.

Agreed.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301