Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
Unix Installer (Was: Re: Three weeks left until ... )  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/13/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> 'k, but, again, this comes to someone (you?) stepping forward and
> dedicating the time/energy to developing a 'mega distribution', and being
> willing to provide support for it

True.  Then maybe we should just all work together to make a
distribution suggestion to packagers of the major components and their
versions.  That way the packagers at least have a good idea of what we
believe is "good-to-go" with X version of PostgreSQL.

> Heck, why not building a Unix Installer like the Windows one, bring up a
> menu with a list of options to install, and pull in what is needed,
> instead of forcing it all on someone?  Neat thing about that: you could
> then maintain statistics on what ppl are actually downloading ...

Yes, I very much like this idea.

> But, as JD pointed out earlier ... there is mammothpostgresql.org already,
> which is apparently FOSS, so instead of "yet another distribution" maybe
> look into extending that, add an Installation interface over top of it (if
> it doesn't already exist), etc ... ?

Not to be too "business" about it, but a PostgreSQL community
distribution should IMHO, be vendor neutral.  If the installer were
vendor-branding-free, I'd be game.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301