Unix Installer (Was: Re: Three weeks left until ... ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Unix Installer (Was: Re: Three weeks left until ... )
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> On 7/13/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> 'k, but, again, this comes to someone (you?) stepping forward and
>> dedicating the time/energy to developing a 'mega distribution', and being
>> willing to provide support for it
>
> True.  Then maybe we should just all work together to make a
> distribution suggestion to packagers of the major components and their
> versions.  That way the packagers at least have a good idea of what we
> believe is "good-to-go" with X version of PostgreSQL.

This works,to an extent ... but what packagers are you referring to?  I
know with FreeBSD, there is no "one packager for all things postgresql ...

> Not to be too "business" about it, but a PostgreSQL community
> distribution should IMHO, be vendor neutral.  If the installer were
> vendor-branding-free, I'd be game.

The big problem is that there is no 'single package format' out there, so
any installer would be fairly difficult from that perspective, i think ...
you'd have to have a 'pgrpm-installer' vs 'pgdeb-installer' vs
'pgpkg-installer' vs ... ?

----