Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/13/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Major component for whom exactly?  What %age of PostgreSQL
> users are using pl/Java?  Are using Java, period?

Got me, but I don't think you have the facts to dispute it either.  As
I said, we're discussing this in a vacuum.

> There is only one *major component* and that is the RDBMS itself ...
> everything else is an add on specific to each end users requirements

Hmm, connecting to the database is an end-user requirement.  That's
why every database vendor in the world has an ODBC and JDBC driver...
and why most of them ship it with the server?

> in all of my years of hosting PostgreSQL-backed web sites, I've *never*
> had a request for a PL/J* ... lots for JDBC, mind you, just never for the
> PLs ...

Interesting

> Why more work for them?  CommandPrompt developed pl/PHP
> in such a way that it doesn't require the PostgreSQL source code
> at all ... so, a packager coudl go out, get a binary (rpm?) distro
> of PostgreSQL, install that and then build their pl/PHP package,
> without ever having to touch the postgresql source code ...

Again, you and I are PostgreSQL people.  Arguing with me about how
easy it is to do X and Y is pointless.  I'm talking about someone new
to PostgreSQL... AFAICS, we have *never* been looking to help them
which I believe is another reason for lesser adoption.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but this reminds me of that Ubergeek
Flash animation with the Linux SuperVillian
(http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54):

Excerpt (regarding Linux):
You've got to config it. And then you have to write some shell
scripts. Update your RPMs. You have to partition your drives. And
patch your kernel. Compile your binaries. Check your version
dependencies. Probably do that once or twice.  It's just so easy. And
so simple. I don't know why everyone doesn't run Linux.  Thank God
they don't, or then they would all be supervillains, wouldn't they?
Heh heh.

Sounds kinda like our discussions:
You've got to download it. And then you have to go check the website.
Download some drivers and PLs. You have to check your version
dependencies. Compile your binaries and/or install them. Probably do
that once or twice.  It's just so easy. And so simple. I don't know
why everyone doesn't use PostgreSQL.  Thank God they don't, or then
they would all be supervillains, wouldn't they? Heh heh.

Look, we all love PostgreSQL and we all want to see it do better;
otherwise we wouldn't be here.  As a community, we all have some
influence in the project as well as a stake in what happens.

Rather than geting all defensive, we need to find out what people who
are using PostgreSQL want so we can make a distribution and/or
recommendation to packagers.  Again, the arguments made here only
apply to current users, when we *should* be thinking about what new
users as well as current users would benefit from.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301