Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
Date
Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/22/06, Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> wrote:
> If you INSERT into multiple partitions (by time -- say one per minute)
> and TRUNCATE periodically (30 minute old partitions for 30 minute
> expiry) it works much better. Expiring the session is quite fast as well
> since they'll go away with the truncate.

Forgive me if this sounds rude because I'm not meaning it as such, but
this suggestion sounds like a MySQL-ish hack.  No doubt it would work,
but should an application-writer have to incur the cost of writing
something different because the database can't handle it?  I remember
having to write subselect code in PHP because MySQL couldn't do it...
not what I would call a *solution* by any mean.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301