Re: [INTERFACES] why there's only char type? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Byron Nikolaidis
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] why there's only char type?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces

Daniel wrote:

> Last week I got PostgreSQL 6.3.x running with -i switch and then created a
> test database. On Win95 end, postODBC was installed and my PowerBuilder
> could connect to the database. Then I tried to transfer the data from Sybase
> SQL Anywhere to Postgres via Powerbuilder's pipeline mechanism. In
> Powerbuilder I did notice that there were some unfamiliar database type in
> Postgres such as INT4 to represent Sybase's INTEGER type and got me really
> excited. However I couldnt create anything in Postgres because I forgot to
> uncheck the "read-only" option when i setup the odbc connection, but that's
> different story.
>
> After coming back from weekend, I tried to do the transfer of data again,
> and I did make sure the "read-only" option has been unchecked. But right now
> I encounter a new problem: I found that I could no longer see other data
> type in Postgres except CHAR. I've tried all the possible setting in odbc
> connection but it still doesn't help. What seems to be the problem? Please
> help.

I'm not sure why you would only see 'char'.  If the application is using the
odbc function SQLGetTypeInfo() to retrieve the data types, then maybe it is
looking for data types that support a certain feature.  Maybe this is
configurable.  I'm not really sure what your application is doing.

If you want, you could send an odbc trace log of the session so we could at
least see if it is calling SQLGetTypeInfo() and retrieving the results.
Otherwise, there is nothing else I can do.

Byron