Re: [INTERFACES] postdrv ODBC driver problems - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Byron Nikolaidis
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] postdrv ODBC driver problems
Date
List pgsql-interfaces

Ben Gunter wrote:

> After version 0.95 of PgAccess was released (thanks so much for the
> quick response!), I figured my problems with character case were
> resolved.  Unfortunately, I tried to use the ODBC driver with MS Excel
> 97, and encountered the same problem.  Tables with mixed case field
> names gave me errors, and tables with all lower case field names worked.
>
> MS Query could see the table fine (named "Present") and reported the
> names of the fields fine ("First Name" and "Last Name"), but it failed
> when I actually executed the query.  It said: func_get_detail: no such
> attribute or function "lastname".

Yes, it is a known problem with mixed case.  Some Microsoft apps don't
bother to use quotes around table/field names to preserve the case, I guess
cause they assume that every dbms works like Microsoft SQL server.  MSAccess
however does always use quotes so mixed case names are no problem with
MSAccess.

I'm not really sure how to proceed on this one.   Maybe you could just use
all lower case names for now.

It would seem to me that if an identifier (table/field name) is not quoted
in an sql statement, then Postgres should not care about the case and match
on it.  That to me seems like the correct approach.

Any opinions?

Byron