Re: [SQL] Java/JDBC/PGSQL Mailing List Archiver - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Fabrice Scemama
Subject Re: [SQL] Java/JDBC/PGSQL Mailing List Archiver
Date
List pgsql-sql
This could be the beginning of a very nice GPL Project.
I'd personally advocate using Perl to do this, since we
have all necessary modules, all of whom are easy to use :
Net::NNTP
DBI
DBD::Pg
everything related to Emails and MIME and MD5
etc.

I'd rather not split text messages in 8k parts!
That's what BLOBS were designed for, and what would you
do with attachments ? Just storing them as
MIME encoded texts ? This would mean having to decode
them a number of times, instead of which storing them
as MIME encoded *and* binary files would increase the server
performance while only wasting a few megs.

We might consider setting up a small mailing-list to talk
about such a project.

Fabrice

French Philosophical Forums
http://www.gesnet.net/philo/

Tim Perdue wrote:

> Sounds interesting. As a C++ programmer, you should have no trouble at all with Java.
>
> I highly recommend IBM VisualAge for Java. It checks all syntax and forces you to be correct. And only $100.
>
> I found an NNTP java class, but I don't know if it's any good or not. I guess SUN has a sun.net.nntp package out
theretoo. (I went to Excite and did a search for java nntp)

> I'm using JDBC to drop everything into postgres and it's really pretty slick.
>
> My current table structure looks something like this:
>
> fld_mailing_list text, /* use int and join to other table??? */
>
> fld_date Char(14), /* 19990101010101 I'm afraid I don't understand Postgres's implementation of timestamps*/
>
> fld_subject text,
> fld_is_followup int, /* for threading purposes */
> fld_from text,
> fld_body text,
>
> I didn't put in a unique key because I never plan on having to update the message (it's static). This might be a
mistake.

> Let me clean up what I have tonite and I'll send it your way to play around with tomorrow or saturday. I have
attachedthe nttp.java class that I found and you can take a gander at that.

> I'm not a pgsql genius, so you may have good advice on the datestamps, lobs, etc. Your idea of using multiple records
with"chunk number" is really interesting. I'm just concerned about the complexity of that (I was trying to slap this
togetherin 1-2 days). My plan at this point is to truncate messages over 8K.