Re: [SQL] Java/JDBC/PGSQL Mailing List Archiver - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Garner
Subject Re: [SQL] Java/JDBC/PGSQL Mailing List Archiver
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Fabrice! :-)

> This could be the beginning of a very nice GPL
>Project. I'd personally advocate using Perl to do
>this, since we have all necessary modules, all of whom
>are easy to use :

Actually that is a very good point and Perl is very
powerful and VERY cool!  However I will probably
continue to do this in Java since my primary purpose
in undertaking this is to learn Java! ;-)

>I'd rather not split text messages in 8k parts!
>That's what BLOBS were designed for, and what would
>you> do with attachments ? Just storing them as
>MIME encoded texts ? This would mean having to decode
>them a number of times, instead of which storing them
>as MIME encoded *and* binary files would increase the
>server performance while only wasting a few megs.

Also a very interesting point! ;-)  It was Herouth that
originally suggested the text chunking.  (The C++ code
that I currently have uses LOBs.)  The advantage to
chunking is that you can search quickly message bodies.
However as you pointed out, having a bunch of MIME
or uuencoded stuff in the table will slow that.

This part is to Tim...

Tim, exactly what trouble are you having with the post-
gres date/timestamp fields?  I have been using them
with C++ and they seemed rather straight forward.  I
have not tried it yet, but I would think that via JDBC,
they would be even easier to access since JDBC will
automatically convert them to the java.sql.Date type.
==
Peace,
Peter

We are Microsoft of Borg, you will be assimilated!!!
Resistance is fut...  ***BZZZRT***  THUD!!!
[General Protection Fault in MSBorg32.DLL]
Please contact the vendor for more information