Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Also, while the fe/be protocol is certainly a bit crufty, I'm not
> convinced that a well-designed frontend is going to suffer any real
> performance problem from parsing the protocol.  The trick again is to
> read into a buffer and parse from the buffer.

That's also what I did, but still better protocol would have helped

> > And of course we need some sort of CLI that can do prepared statements
> > and that can use binary fields (not only the file interface).
>
> > Currently we have some of it, bu only in SPI.
>
> SPI?  I missed something ... what's that?

I think it stands for Server Programming Interface (?). Vadim (?) added
it as the interface for C and other programming language functions
to execute queries inside the backend. AFAIK, it follows the standard
prepare-bind-execute-fetch model for its queries.

It is quite well documented in the standard PG docs.

Hannu Krosing