Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL
Date
Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL  ("Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>)
List pgsql-docs
> >> http://www.mulberrytech.com
> >>   green and white (with a bit of blue) suprisingly nice look
> >Nice look.
> Agree.  There may be about as much real stuff as the other sites have,
> but it doesn't look busy or cluttered at all.  The simple color scheme
> makes it easier on the eyes than most web sites.  Very elegant!
> >> http://www.w3.org
> >>   nice clean logo and look. Too many links on page
> >Not sure.  Didn't grab me.
> Not as good as Mulberrytech, but not bad.
> >> http://www.javasoft.com
> >>   nice look. Currently has a dumb truck graphic...
> >Too much stuff/scroll. No spread.
> Takes *way* too long to load.  Only barely avoids overusing color in
> places. This one looks to me like the designer was told to use every
> trick in the book once on the page.

No duh! It's the JavaSoft page, for gosh sakes! What do we expect? :)

> In summary:  let's not let our (obvious) interest in the technology
> obscure the real information we are trying to communicate.  A simple
> design without any gaffes will avoid distracting from that
> information.

You're not off the hook that easily. We have already acknowledged that
we are design-impaired. And a good book on design won't cure us. So we
are trying to survey web sites and propose candidate looks. Got one or a
few to suggest which have the right look?

TIA
                     - Tom