Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL
Date
List pgsql-docs
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.parc.xerox.com
> > >   simple look, but very dynamic action
> > >   (scrappy, run your mouse across the menus)
> >
> > I didn't like this.  Too much white space, did not spread across page.
>
> What, exactly, is spread?  If you mean 'width' across the page, not
> having it is, IMHO, a good idea.  I like a clean narrow (possibly long)
> page.  I don't know about anybody else, but I like to do other things
> when I'm browsing the web, and narrow pages give me more screen real
> estate to do that (it's more intuitive to scroll down than across).
> Wide pages are a pain on small displays, and waste precious screen space.

I used fvwm, so I have multiple desktops, and Netscape gets to fill its
own at 1000x640.  Our current page spreads the text across the browser
window.  In a narrow browser, it disiplays narrow text.  I agree you
can't define it to be wide by default, but it should be able to fill the
window.  You can even define margins of whitespace, to say 10% of the
window width.

The major problem is that if you go with text that is inside an
image/imagemap, you can't just have the text wrap inside the window.
There is no way around that unless you can auto-size the image based on
the browser size, but that probably is impossible.  Any text trapped
inside an image is going to look very small in a large browser window
because you have to design for the smallest browser window, which
probably has a width of ~600 pixels.

Pennsylvania19026