Re: [GENERAL] Slow Searches using MSAccess and ODBC to aPostGreSQL database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Hartwig
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Slow Searches using MSAccess and ODBC to aPostGreSQL database
Date
List pgsql-general

dustin sallings wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Valerio Santinelli wrote:
>
>         What does the query look like, and what does the table look like?
>
> // I've just setted up my PostGreSQL database on a Linux machine and it
> // seems to work fine with the radius daemon i'm currently working on.
> //
> // Now I need to interface it with MSAccess to access data about our
> // customers and other stuff stored in the postgres database. It seems to
> // work correctly as to insertion, update and so on, but when I'm doing a
> // search on every field on a substring it gets something like 2 minutes
> // and a half to look in a 1500 records database and you all know that'd
> // way too much.
> // The search is on 8 fields on a single table.. what could I do to speed
> // it up ? (When i was running this database just on Access it took at most
> // 2 seconds for the whole search)
> //
> // I gave a look to the log and it seems that for every search on a single
> // record it involves seven transactions on the same record.. that sounds
> // strange to me.. anybody who can help me out ?

Welcome to the world of remote data access via the MS Jet.

Are you using the search/filter mechanism while browsing a table, or a query in
the query designer?

Which version of backend and driver?

Is there a primary key of which MS Access is aware?

Is there an actual primary key on the server side?

A CommLog file would be helpful.    You can send that direct to me.