Re: Upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 causes performance degradation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Álvaro Nunes Lemos Melo
Subject Re: Upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 causes performance degradation
Date
Re: Upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 causes performance degradation  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Re: Upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 causes performance degradation  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Firstly, I'd like to thanks all of you guys for your help. Below, I'll try to provide all the information you asked. I
knowthe query I'm testing could be improved, but I used it because it's not that fast that is hard to measure neither
soslow (another report query took about 4 minutes on 9.2 and now takes 16 minutes on 9.3) that would take the whole day
torun tests.
And again, performance on 9.2 improved on the new server (as expected), what surprises me is that 9.3 is slower on the
oldone and even slower on the new, as shown in data below.

> +--------+-------+-------+
> | Server |  9.2  |  9.3  |
> +--------+-------+-------+
> | Old    |   129 |   216 |
> +--------+-------+-------+
> | New    |   118 |   275 |
> +--------+-------+-------+

==> Eduardo:
> What filesystems do you use?
Ext4 over SSD disk in both servers

> Did you compile PostgreSQL or installed a binary?
Binary from Ubuntu/Debian packages

> Is some kind of debug mode on in new server?
Like track_io_activity? Not yet, but I can turn them on and send the results, if necessary.

> Does querys call plpgsql or other functions on external languages (non sql).
No.

==> Venkata
> After the migration to hardware and to the new version 9.3, any changes have been done in the postgresql.conf
comparedto the old settings ?
No, as I wrote initially, I'd double checked and the four conf files have the same parameters.

> Any maintenance activities (VACUUM or VACUUM FULL and ANALYZE) have been performed after the migration ?
ANALYZE yes. VACUUM or VACUUM FULL no, because I ran the test on recently restores and unchanged databases.

==> Adrian
> Hardware specification (on both servers)
Processor:
- New: Xeon E5-2430 2.20GHz
- Old: Xeon X3470   2.93GHz
Memory: 8 GBs
Hard Drives: SSD

> Minor Versions
New server:
PostgreSQL 9.2.6
PostgreSQL 9.3.3

Old server:
PostgreSQL 9.2.3
PostgreSQL 9.3.3

> Explains (ANALYZE, BUFFERS)
Old server:
9.2 - http://explain.depesz.com/s/bXIo
9.3 - http://explain.depesz.com/s/Vwt

New server:
I'll run them at night (about 12 hours from now), so that the regular use of the server don't interfere in the results

--
Álvaro Nunes Melo    Atua Sistemas de Informação
alvaro@atua.com.br   http://www.atua.com.br