Re: [HACKERS] SQL92 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SQL92
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Does the SQL92 standard have to be purchased from the ANSI Board?

afaik, yes.

> Well, my actual question has to do with LIKE.  Could anyone who has a
> copy of a standard send me the PATTERN syntax/meanings for LIKE in
> SQL92?

Well, you may be hoping for more than is in any of your reference books,
but there isn't any more to tell :)

  % ==> match any (sub)string
  _ ==> match any single character
  everything else matches itself

In SQL92 (but not yet in Postgres; can't remember if there is a
workaround):

  LIKE 'pattern' ESCAPE 'char'

allows a single character "char" if it precedes the two pattern matching
characters to demote the "%" or "_" to act like a normal single
character. The Postgres regex stuff is much more powerful.

Sorry, I think that's it :(

                    - Tom