Re: [HACKERS] more on int8 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] more on int8
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> We could probably do without %qd, but I assume their are some
> platforms that support %qd and not %lld.  We can ask people as they
> run configure if they ever see %lld failing but %qd passing.

Could we please leave all of the hooks for %qd in the code, but disable
the automatic check for it in configure.in and configure? If we run into
a case which requires it, then it will be trivial to re-enable it (or if
you like allow a manual override --enable-int8-qd). If we do not run
into such a case then we can remove the code later, simplifying things a
bit.

If we don't disable it for now, then we will never be able to discover
whether it is a required feature or not. Now is the time to do this
since int8 is a new feature. It won't work very well to try the same
tactic 6 months from now :)

Thanks.

                      - Tom