Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Can we try a simple -O rather than just -O2 and -O0.  Could this be
> some type of optimizer bug in gcc2/Solaris?
> Everything is pointing to indexing.c, from both the initdb failure and
> the create function failure.  But I can't see anything wrong in there,
> and other platforms seem to be OK.

Uh, no, Linux/i686 is showing trouble too, but not in the initdb stage.
The Sparc platforms will be more sensitive to byte alignment problems,
especially within C structures, so this may be illustrating a
cross-platform problem more clearly.

There is a repeatable indexing and (perhaps) caching problem I see in
the regression tests. Annoyingly, the problems get slightly worse at the
moment when compiling with -O0.

There is a fundamental problem lurking somewhere, and there may not be
much point in going beta unless you think that more testers will help to
track down the problem.

               - Tom