Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Can we try a simple -O rather than just -O2 and -O0.  Could this be
> > some type of optimizer bug in gcc2/Solaris?
> > Everything is pointing to indexing.c, from both the initdb failure and
> > the create function failure.  But I can't see anything wrong in there,
> > and other platforms seem to be OK.
>
> Uh, no, Linux/i686 is showing trouble too, but not in the initdb stage.
> The Sparc platforms will be more sensitive to byte alignment problems,
> especially within C structures, so this may be illustrating a
> cross-platform problem more clearly.
>
> There is a repeatable indexing and (perhaps) caching problem I see in
> the regression tests. Annoyingly, the problems get slightly worse at the
> moment when compiling with -O0.

Can you see if compiling indexing.c with different optmization levels
change the output?  If so, would someone else also look in indexing.c
for somethings stupid I did.   I can't see it, but EVERYTHING is
pointing to that file.

> There is a fundamental problem lurking somewhere, and there may not be
> much point in going beta unless you think that more testers will help to
> track down the problem.

Not sure how to find the problem.  Without being able to debug it here,
I am left staring at the code over and over again.