Re: plpgsql-trigger.html: Format TG_ variables as table (patch) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: plpgsql-trigger.html: Format TG_ variables as table (patch)
Date
Re: plpgsql-trigger.html: Format TG_ variables as table (patch)
List pgsql-hackers
On 30.08.22 15:16, Christoph Berg wrote:
> I found the list of TG_ variables on
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-trigger.html#PLPGSQL-DML-TRIGGER
> hard to read for several reasons: too much whitespace, all the lines
> start with "Data type", and even after that, the actual content is
> hiding behind some extra "variable that..." boilerplate.
>
> The attached patch formats the list as a table, and removes some of
> the clutter from the text.
>
> I reused the catalog_table_entry table machinery, that is probably not
> quite the correct thing, but I didn't find a better variant, and the
> result looks ok.

I find the new version even harder to read.  The catalog_table_entry
stuff doesn't really make sense here, since what you have before is
already a definition list, and afterwards you have the same, just marked
up "incorrectly".

We could move the data type in the <term>, similar to how you did it in
your patch.

I agree the whitespace layout is weird, but that's a problem of the
website CSS stylesheet.  I think it looks a bit better with the local
stylesheet, but that can all be tweaked.