response time when querying via JDBC and via psql differs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pavel Rotek
Subject response time when querying via JDBC and via psql differs
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi all,

  i have strange problem with performance in PostgreSQL (8.1.9). My problem shortly:

  I'm using postgreSQL via JDBC driver (postgresql-8.1-404.jdbc3.jar) and asking the database for search on table with approximately 3 000 000 records.
  I have created functional index table(lower(href) varchar_pattern_ops) because of lower case "like" searching. When i ask the database directly from psql, it returns result in 0,5 ms, but when i put the same command via jdbc driver, it returns in 10 000 ms. Where can be the problem?? Any problem with PostgreSQL tuning??

The command is
select df.id as id, df.c as c, df.href as href, df.existing as existing, df.filesize as filesize from documentfile df where (lower(href) like 'aba001!_2235800001.djvu' escape '!' ) order by  id limit 1   Thank you very much for any help,

  Kind regards,

  Pavel Rotek