Re: pgindent behavior we could do without - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgindent behavior we could do without
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:27:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's always annoyed me that pgindent insists on adjusting vertical
>> whitespace around #else and related commands.  This has, for example,
>> rendered src/include/storage/barrier.h nigh illegible: you get things
>> like

> Agreed.  I've similarly disliked how pgindent adds a blank line between an #if
> and a multi-line comment, like at the top of get_restricted_token().

AFAICT it forces a blank line before a multiline comment in most
contexts; #if isn't special (though it does seem to avoid doing that
just after a left brace).  I too don't much care for that behavior,
although it's not as detrimental to readability as removing blank lines
can be.

In general, pgindent isn't nearly as good about managing vertical
whitespace as it is about horizontal spacing ...