Re: pgindent behavior we could do without - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgindent behavior we could do without
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/18/2013 11:30 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
>> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:27:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> It's always annoyed me that pgindent insists on adjusting vertical
>>> whitespace around #else and related commands.  This has, for example,
>>> rendered src/include/storage/barrier.h nigh illegible: you get things
>>> like
>> Agreed.  I've similarly disliked how pgindent adds a blank line between an #if
>> and a multi-line comment, like at the top of get_restricted_token().
> AFAICT it forces a blank line before a multiline comment in most
> contexts; #if isn't special (though it does seem to avoid doing that
> just after a left brace).  I too don't much care for that behavior,
> although it's not as detrimental to readability as removing blank lines
> can be.
>
> In general, pgindent isn't nearly as good about managing vertical
> whitespace as it is about horizontal spacing ...

I agree.

I should perhaps note that when I rewrote pgindent, I deliberately
didn't editorialize about its behaviour - but I did intend to make it
more maintainable and simpler to change stuff like this, and so it is :-)

cheers

andrew