Re: [HACKERS] Syntax errors in current tree - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Syntax errors in current tree
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Not really a problem.  Most patch problems are either my mucking with it
> to merge it with other changes, or platform-specific problems that the
> tester would never have see.  For example, Win32 used EINTR without
> including errno.h.

And, by the same token, whoever does commit a patch might fail to notice
a platform-specific problem that didn't happen to show up on his
platform.  You can't really expect things to be 100% tested before they
hit the CVS tree (that's why we have a release cycle).

My experience so far is that the Postgres CVS sources are pretty stable;
most of the time they work, which can't be said for some other projects
I'm involved in :-(.  Not that we shouldn't strive to do even better,
but an occasional breakage is going to happen.