Re: [HACKERS] Hi - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Hi
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 1) Is there an embedded SQL preprocessor available? I read about an
> alpha version, but is it still maintained?

I remember mention of it on the list a while ago, but have not heard
anything since. Also, no code for this was contributed for the
distribution, and it should be included. It would be _great_ to have a real
preprocessor.

> 3) How would you describe the general goal of this project: Offer as
> good a database system as you can create as free software? That is
> should it be able to handle huge amounts of data, or is it seen more as
> a tool for a private person/small business?

As scrappy pointed out, we would like to not forget either kind of user.
However, afaik PostgreSQL is the closest to a "heavyweight" RDBMS available
in the freeware world, so if we had to choose we would probably put
ourselves on the "huge amounts of data" end of the spectrum.

> 4) Are there areas/Which areas need help?

The ToDo has lots of projects. Also, as you get started and learn the
details of Postgres internals the docs project could use some contributions
:).

There are other areas which are not yet called out in the ToDo list,
including

  - recovery of munged databases (I think disk full conditions may cause
damage)
  - transaction-only and session-only tables, variables, etc.
  - re-think the table/type interface to allow more extensibility of types

But, picking simpler items from the ToDo is probably the best way to get
familiar with pieces of the code.

Welcome.

                                            - Tom