Hi - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Hi
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Hi  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

despite bein chronically short of time I'd like to be involved with some
database development in free software. It seems to me that postgresql is
the most complete package out there and it also has some nice features
like object identity. I consider myself fairly knowledgable when it
comes to databases (at least it brought me my Ph.D.) so I think I could
do some. But before I do so I'd like to ask some questions about the
status of development:

1) Is there an embedded SQL preprocessor available? I read about an
alpha version, but is it still maintained?
2) How about ODBC? I know there is a driver but apparently I cannot use
all ODBC features. I have an application on Windows that I'd like to use
to stress test postgresql a little bit, but I get an SQLError -1
everytime I try to fetch a record. Is this a knwon bug?
3) How would you describe the general goal of this project: Offer as
good a database system as you can create as free software? That is
should it be able to handle huge amounts of data, or is it seen more as
a tool for a private person/small business?
4) Are there areas/Which ares need help?

Please tell me what you think

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager    | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes@topsystem.de                    | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20