Re: [HACKERS] Hi - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Hi
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Hi,
>
> despite bein chronically short of time I'd like to be involved with some
> database development in free software. It seems to me that postgresql is
> the most complete package out there and it also has some nice features
> like object identity. I consider myself fairly knowledgable when it
> comes to databases (at least it brought me my Ph.D.) so I think I could
> do some. But before I do so I'd like to ask some questions about the
> status of development:
>

> 3) How would you describe the general goal of this project: Offer as
> good a database system as you can create as free software? That is
> should it be able to handle huge amounts of data, or is it seen more as
> a tool for a private person/small business?

About a year ago, our goal was to make it more reliable.  At this point,
our goal is SQL compliance, speed, and features.  See the TODO list in
the distribution or on our web page for an idea of our open items.

> 4) Are there areas/Which ares need help?

What we really need are more people who can get a handle on the entire
source tree, so we can implement some of the more complex SQL features,
or improve some of the older code.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist@candle.pha.pa.us