Re: BUG #17220: ALTER INDEX ALTER COLUMN SET (..) with an optionless opclass makes index and table unusable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bossart, Nathan
Subject Re: BUG #17220: ALTER INDEX ALTER COLUMN SET (..) with an optionless opclass makes index and table unusable
Date
In response to Re: BUG #17220: ALTER INDEX ALTER COLUMN SET (..) with an optionless opclass makes index and table unusable  ("Matthijs van der Vleuten" <postgresql@zr40.nl>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/18/21, 11:49 PM, "Matthijs van der Vleuten" <postgresql@zr40.nl> wrote:
> The test case doesn't seem entirely correct to me? The index being
> dropped (btree_tall_tbl_idx2) doesn't exist.

This was fixed before it was committed [0].

> Also, I don't believe this tests the case of dropping the index when
> it previously has been altered in this way.

That can still fail with the "has no options" ERROR, and fixing it
will still require a manual catalog update.  The ERROR is actually
coming from the call to index_open(), so bypassing it might require
some rather intrusive changes.  Given that it took over a year for
this bug to be reported, I suspect it might be more trouble than it's
worth.

Nathan

[0] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=fdd8857