Re: Database issues when adding GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Semanchuk
Subject Re: Database issues when adding GUI
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Jun 7, 2021, at 11:07 AM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/7/21 9:02 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> This is an unusual message and I hope someone(s) here can offer insights
>> into the cause of the problem I've been wrestling with for the past couple
>> of weeks.
>>
>> Context: For the past decade I've run my business tracking database from the
>> psql shell (currently with postgresql-12.2) and decided it's time to add a
>> frontend so it's a stand-alone desktop application. I'm learning to use
>> PyQt5 as the widget set and application framework.
>>
>> The database contains three lookup tables: activitytypes, industrytypes, and
>> statustypes, all have a single column and few rows. So I've started with
>> these to get python3 and PyQt5-5.13.2 to run the SELECT query and display
>> the results in a QTableView.
>>
>> The problem with all three is that my code produces an empty window and
>> hangs. There's no python error displayed and the application reports finding
>> the database but not the tables. For example, the activitytypes debugging
>> log contains:
>> INFO:root:found database
>> DEBUG:root:Defining model/view
>> DEBUG:root:model error:  Unable to find table activitytypes
>> DEBUG:root:about to execute select query
>> DEBUG:root:End of Program
>>
>> I, and others on the python and pyqt mail lists and stackoverflow, can find
>> nothing wrong with the python code. This suggests it's something with the
>> database itself. But I have no idea where to look. The database structure
>> is:
>> bustrac=# \d
>>                     List of relations
>>  Schema |           Name            |   Type   |  Owner --------+---------------------------+----------+----------
>>  public | activities                | table    | rshepard
>>  public | activitytypes             | table    | rshepard
>>  public | industrytypes             | table    | rshepard
>>  public | locations                 | table    | rshepard
>>  public | organizations             | table    | rshepard
>>  public | organizations_org_nbr_seq | sequence | rshepard
>>  public | people                    | table    | rshepard
>>  public | people_person_nbr_seq     | sequence | rshepard
>>  public | projects                  | table    | rshepard
>>  public | statustypes               | table    | rshepard
>> (10 rows)
>>
>> What might stop a front-end application from finding a table that has been
>> readily accessed from the psql shell?
>>
>> All suggestions and recommendations are needed.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> \
> This looks like a permissions problem, as though you are connecting as a role/user without permission to select from
thetables.

I agree with Rich. Permissions, or you’re connecting as the wrong user. You might find it helpful to simplify and not
usea GUI application until you get your connection issues sorted out. A simple command line Python app that connects to
thedatabase and prints the result of “select * from activitytypes limit 1” will enable quick(er) debugging of your
connectionissues.

Cheers
Philip