Re: PL/Perl Does not Like vstrings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PL/Perl Does not Like vstrings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The fix that has been applied, as Tom suggested, is at the point where
> we call SvPVutf8(), so that's not just for elog().

That patch looks good, but do we want to look into the other point about
error recovery?  The real bottom line here is that when SvPVutf8 threw a
croak(), we didn't recover sanely at all --- in fact, it was almost
impossible to tell what had happened even in gdb, until I installed
perl debugging symbols and single-stepped through things.  I would have
hoped that we'd at least see the croak message.  This seems a bit
nervous-making, as plperl sure calls a lot of stuff that in principle
could croak.