Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Golub
Subject Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello, Yuriy.

You wrote:

YZ>  (2) it might make things easier on Windows,
YZ>  which could be a sufficiently good reason but I don't think I've seen
YZ>  anyone explain exactly how much easier it will make things and in what
YZ>  ways.

YZ> 1. You can remove tools/msvc folder because all your build rules
YZ> will be universal. (cmake build now have much fewer lines of code)
YZ> 2. You can forget about terminal in Windows (for windows guys it's important)
YZ> 3. You can normally check environment on Windows, right now we
YZ> have hardcoded headers and many options. Configure process will be same on all platforms.
YZ> 4. You can generate not only GNU Make or MSVC project, you also
YZ> can make Xcode projects, Ninja or NMake for build under MSVC Make.
YZ> For Windows, you also can easily change MSVC to Clang it's not hardcoded at all.
YZ> 5. With CMake you have an easy way to build extra modules
YZ> (plugins), I have already working prototype for windows PGXS.  A
YZ> plugin should just include .cmake file generated with Postgres build.
YZ> Example:
YZ> https://github.com/stalkerg/postgres_cmake/blob/cmake/contrib/adminpack/CMakeLists.txt
YZ> If PGXS is True it's mean we build module outside postgres.

Cool! Thanks for pointing this out. I just had problems building PG
extensions for Windows. So I switched to MSYS2 and only then I managed
that. No chance for MSVC :(

--
With best wishes,
 Pavel                          mailto:pavel@gf.microolap.com