Re: SGML index build fix - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SGML index build fix
Date
Re: [HACKERS] SGML index build fix  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-patches
> The attached patch warns users when they create documentation output
> that has no index, and suggests re-running 'gmake'.

This is just useless noise.  If it could tell the difference between an
up-to-date index and a not-up-to-date one, there might be some value
to it ... but as-is I think it's just getting in the user's face.
Everyone using these tools knows about the two-pass behavior.

I just got done reading an interesting comparison of MS Vista versus
Mac OS X:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800670
The guy's very first complaint about Vista is how it demands your
attention constantly with trivial warning messages.  This seems in much
the same vein.

            regards, tom lane