SQL challenge--top 10 for each key value? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Boes
Subject SQL challenge--top 10 for each key value?
Date
Re: SQL challenge--top 10 for each key value?  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Re: SQL challenge--top 10 for each key value?  (elein <elein@varlena.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Offered up for anyone with time on their hands. I fiddled around with
this for half an afternoon, then gave up and did it programmatically in
Perl.

Given a table that looks something like this:

id       | INTEGER
query    | INTEGER
checksum | char(32)
score    | INTEGER
include  | BOOLEAN

The table is unique by "id". "Checksum" may be repeated, but I only care
if it is repeated within a given group by "query". ("query" is non-null.)

I can get the top scorer for each "query" row by something like this:

SELECT * FROM (  SELECT DISTINCT ON (checksum) *  FROM my_table  ORDER BY checksum, score DESC)
ORDER BY query;

How would you go about getting the top N (say, the top 10) for each query?

And then, if that's too easy for you--consider a further case where I
want every row for a given "query" that has "include" TRUE, and enough
non-"include" rows to make N. I might end up with more than N rows for a
given value of "query" if there were more than N with "include" set.

I headed off in the direction of groups of SELECTs and UNIONs, and quit
when I got to something like four levels of "SELECT ... AS FOO" ...

--
Jeff Boes                                      vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer                                     fax 269.349.9076