Re: Encoding and result string length - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Encoding and result string length
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 08 April 2004 10:32, kumar wrote:

> create table encodeco(c1 int4, c2 int4);
> insert into encodeco values(10000, 20000);
> select * from encodeco;
>
> So I want to encode the data while selecting.
> select encode(c1,'base64') from encodeco;

> So i  tried
>     select encode('c1','base64') from encodeco;

Not quite: SELECT encode(c1::text, 'base64') FROM encodeco;
or SELECT encode(CAST(c1 AS text), 'base64') FROM encodeco;

> Also is it possible to get the encoded values with only 2 charactors,
> irrespective of the values of c1 ranging from 100 to 10 million

You could write such a coding so long as you don't mind having ten-thousand
characters in your character-set. Of course, character does not equal byte
like this, but that's true in the various unicode systems anyway.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd