Re: PCI:SSF - Safe SQL Query & operators filter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Bilek
Subject Re: PCI:SSF - Safe SQL Query & operators filter
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/8/22 11:29, Christophe Pettus wrote:

>> On Nov 7, 2022, at 17:24, Jan Bilek <jan.bilek@eftlab.com.au> wrote:
>> Would there be any way to go around this?
> The typical configuration is to not permit the PostgreSQL superuser to log in remotely.  The database can be managed
bya different, non-superuser role, including schema migrations.

Well, superuser (our App) is already logged in and as it is designed
very much as an "appliance" it simply does that job - manages its
database. There might be a way to explore whether we can use internally
another (limited) user just for reporting queries on a different
connection session. But I am getting (security related) headaches just
thinking about it.

>> CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE plpython3u;
>> HINT:  Must be superuser to create this extension.
> The reason only a superuser can create this extension is the "u" at the end of the name: It is an untrusted PL that
canbypass PostgreSQL's role system.  If anyone could create functions in it, anyone could bypass roles.

Yes, agreed. Any ideas?

--
Jan Bilek - CTO at EFTlab Pty Ltd.