Re: Nulls get converted to 0 problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Avi Schwartz
Subject Re: Nulls get converted to 0 problem
Date
Re: Nulls get converted to 0 problem  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, Jun 4, 2003, at 13:48 America/Chicago, scott.marlowe
wrote:

> FYI, "" does NOT equal NULL does not equal 0.

I know this very well, thank you.

> If an application wishes to store a null value, it should store a null
> value, not a blank value.

No disagreement here.

> Since blanks are not allowed in integers, the only legal value for CF
> store is either NULL or 0.
>
> If you attempt to store '' or "" into an integer column, you should
> get an
> error.

I do not store a '' or "" into an integer column.  This is how CF does
it when it gets a null value from the database.

> CF's lack of support for nulls is their issue, and one of the dozens of
> reasons I switched development from that to PHP in my shop.

Unfortunately this is not reasonable.  This is an extremely big
application that will require a huge effort to move to a different
platform, a thought that we will entertain if we decide to rewrite the
application in the future.

> I would guess this might be a known and fixed bug in cold fusion.  Have
> you checked for updates on their site yet?

Yes, I am running the latest SP.  However, I am not sure yet where is
the problem since CF works as expected with other databases.

> A database application language that doesn't understand NULLs is
> broken,
> and needs to be fixed.

Avi
--