Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Le 1 mai 09 à 22:02, Andy Lester a écrit :

>> Because it becomes one more maintenance task we don't need.
>
> There should be nothing to maintain, if it's done right.

Any line in the source tree will have to get maintained, or why would
you spend any time writing it?

> So it sounds like they could benefit from a tool that ensured that
> they would be kept consistent, and so that when it was decided that
> changes needed to be made, the single tool (likely a 20-line Perl
> program) would take care of it.

See doc/FAQ_DEV and those specific lines:
   First, all the files in the src/tools directory are designed for   developers.
    pgindent        indents source files

> Sure, and I'm sure there are plenty of projects that do use them to
> great effect, most notably Perl 5 and Parrot.  Perl 5 specifically
> has had the mish-mosh of tabs-vs-spaces reduced by the addition of
> modelines.

There's also the src/tools/editors/{emacs,vim}.sample files with
exactly what you propose, but more in a central way rather than a
distributed one. The project chose to have this point addressed by
proposing each contributor to setup his $EDITOR and giving samples on
how to achieve this for the most popular ones.

Proposing patches to revisit choices already made in the past usually
need a fair amount of proving why it's a good idea to revisit and how
the new idea is better than the current one. I think the answer you
got was about filling this part of your proposal.

Sorry if the "push-back" has been read as harsh, but I've got the
(very personal) feeling that to become a contributor to PostgreSQL,
you *will* have to be able to read this level of criticism back from
the mail you send.

HTH, Regards,
--
dim